[Mailman-Developers] GNU Mailman Site Redesign

Satoshi Tanabe stanabe at uwo.ca
Mon Apr 21 00:27:41 CEST 2008

Hello,

2008/4/20, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org>:

>  On Apr 9, 2008, at 12:28 AM, Satoshi Tanabe wrote:
>
> > Thanks Barry for your comments and thoughts. I waited for your reply :-)
> >
> > Several comments on what you said:
> >
> > * I used gedit to create all the html files, so "pages being build
> > using non-free software" is not an issue at least with my part.
> >

>  Ah, so you're not using any kind of general templating or site building
> software?  Just manually writing .html files?  Don't we need something to
> ensure consistent layout, links, etc?

No, I didn't use any site building software, and yes, I created all
html files with gedit (with the help of the powerful snippet plugin).
CSS takes care of the consistent layout part.

>  Maybe not though.  Ideally, most of the www content really could live on
> the wiki.  We'd lose the mirrors, but I'm not really sure how much value
> there is in them anyway.  Radical thought: with a front page we can better
> design, and pages we can lock down from editing, can www be completely wiki?

I'm not really sure how much benefit we get by making the site 100%
wiki... (unless we create the Mailman Encyclopedia or something of
that sort.)  I see the benefit in the documentation and QandA part
(because people can constantly improve and add contents to them), but
other than that, wouldn't static HTML (plus links to those Wiki pages)
do the job? Wikis are nice, but at the same time it seems to create
otherwise unnecessary management issues (spamming, user accounts,
etc).

What do you think?

- Satoshi