[Mailman-Developers] Web UI

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Jun 19 19:21:31 CEST 2008

A few days ago, a discussion of Mailman's web UI started on mailman-
users: http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users%40python.org/
msg49681.html

Since this is more of a development effort than a users issue, we're
moving continued discussion here.

I'll kick off the thread by answering a question:

> But how easy is it to actually improve the web UI?

Not very.  Not only is it tightly integrated, but any text change
will have to go through all the many translators for various
languages.  And then there's accessibility concerns, issues regarding
any extra install requirements we might want to add (eg for
templating systems), and the basic problem of building an interface
that appeals to a rather large array of people... Changing the web UI
is a big pain.

That said, I think this is a worthwhile endeavour, and we had
previous discussed an improved web UI being a good goal for a 2.2
release (we'll also need new UI for mm3, of course).  Just don't
expect it to happen tomorrow or be a cakewalk.  This is not a project
to take on lightly.

I've started up a wiki page here for us to capture ideas for an
improved web UI:

http://wiki.list.org/x/RoBE

and being the self-interested person that I am, I'm going to try to
generate some thoughts on my own idea here first ;)

I think we could benefit a fair bit from having a "simple" and an
"expert" interface for the list administrators.  I had a number of
replies both on and off list saying "yes!  please!" so I take it I'm
not the only one who thinks this is a good idea.  My question to
everyone is... what options would you deem essential in the "simple"
interface?

  Terri