[Mailman-Developers] 1-click unsubscribe

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 18:51:26 CET 2008

--On 5 March 2008 18:16:53 -0500 Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> I generally don't like 1-click unsubs but I recognize that this is an
> important use case in the real world, and it's probably better to have
> the risk of people getting unsub'd against their will than to have the
> entire site get blacklisted from AOL because of a cluser.

So, a 1-click unsub is a link in the message footer which takes you to a
page that says something like "You've unsubscribed from our list, sorry to
see you go"?

Well, if the subscriber accidentally clicked that link, then an "oops"
button on the page might get them back in.

If someone else clicked the link after the email was forwarded to them,
then a farewell email to the subscriber, with a one-click resubscribe might
help.

A note on unsubscription: I manage a few lists for small voluntary
organisations, and for us it is REALLY important to be able to avoid
re-subscribing someone who has unsubscribed themselves. Therefore, it would
be better to set their preferences to no-mail, rather than simply delete
their records. Also useful to record the date and the fact that it was the
subscriber who opted out.

A note on small organisations: we have members that don't have email. It
would be great to be able to record their postal addresses in some form
that could easily be printed to envelope labels. Or, their phone numbers.
So that they can also be notified of important events. This would be
incredibly useful to small community organisations.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex