[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter in default installation

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 6 23:02:14 CET 2008

> > 1. Don't create backscatter aliases for subscribe/unsubscribe/etc by
> > default.  Nearly everyone uses web based signup.
>
> How, exactly, does one do these? In particular, how do you remove the
> aliases when using mm-handler to process mail from sendmail? (I'd be happy
> to start the wiki page once I have the information to put there.)

This cannot be done simply with the current version of mm-handler in
contrib -- it requires several code changes and would affect all actions
for <listname-action at lists.example.org>.  That would have bad effects on
VERP bounce handling, for example.

Here is an update to mm-handler which might address this adequately.  I
no longer use mm-handler myself (despite having written it), so I can't
test this short of installing a new Mailman instance.  Can someone on
the list test it?

  http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mailman/mm-handler/mm-handler-2.10

Since it's contrib and not supported, maybe it would be reasonable to
put the update into the 2.1.10 release -- provided someone can declare
that it works. :)  Otherwise feel free to post it on the wiki.

--
 -D.    dgc at uchicago.edu    NSIT    University of Chicago