[Mailman-Developers] Documentation status?

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Mar 7 19:03:41 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 10:49:08AM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I think the GFDL would probably be more appropriate:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html#FDL
> I'm not as well versed on this license; what do people think about that?

The major issue with the GFDL is that for a while, Debian considered
it to be a non-free license.  I think the current status is that
Debian now considers GFDL-licensed docs with no unmodifiable sections
to be free, so we shouldn't have any such sections.

(This is going by http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001#outcome ;
is anyone here a Debian developer and know if that's the latest status?)

Terri Oda wrote:
> >information... all should be in one place.  I was trying to explain
> >to one of my department sysadmins where to find mailman help, and it
> >was *embarrassing* when I started listing off the docs I wrote, the
> >FAQ Wizard, the mailing lists, the help files included with the

Yes, we definitely need to clean up on that respect.  For example:

  * Are bugs kept in Jira or on SourceForge?
    (http://www.list.org/bugs.html says there's a transition going
    on.)

  * http://www.list.org/{docs,admins,users,...}.html would need to be
    updated.

  * The README says Python 2.1 or later is required, but it looks like
    Python 2.3 is actually needed these days.  I've created a
    Launchpad branch, small-fixes, with some updates to the docs.
    This branch could be merged into 2.1 at any time, once someone has
    proofread my changes.

--amk