[Mailman-Developers] Documentation status?

Thijs Kinkhorst thijs at debian.org
Mon Mar 10 16:53:17 CET 2008

On Friday 7 March 2008 19:03, A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> The major issue with the GFDL is that for a while, Debian considered
> it to be a non-free license.  I think the current status is that
> Debian now considers GFDL-licensed docs with no unmodifiable sections
> to be free, so we shouldn't have any such sections.
>
> (This is going by http://www.debian.org/vote/2006/vote_001#outcome ;
> is anyone here a Debian developer and know if that's the latest status?)

Yes, I am and yes, it is the latest status. Basically, GFDL is not a problem
to Debian if you don't use cover texts and unmodifiable sections, however
it's discouraged because it's yet another licence and texts from e.g. a
manual cannot be used in code. Another problem is that your tarball is going
to have content licenced under different licences. I think it's preferable to
have one licence covering the entire Mailman tarball if that's possible.

There doesn't seem a real reason to switch to the GFDL when GPL provides just
what you need. If the entire project is already GPL, then let's keep it
simple and keep everything under the same licence.

Thijs