[Mailman-Developers] Enhancing the bounce log

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Mar 10 22:24:57 CET 2008

A.M. Kuchling wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 04:02:12PM -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> In any case, I think the
>>
>> hre = re.compile('^>?\s*message-id:\s*(<.*>)', re.IGNORECASE)
>>
>> re will likely find anything to be found and is unlikely to find false
>> hits.
>
>Excellent point!  I've written up a patch using the regex:
>https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=300103&aid=1911318&group_id=103

I've looked at the patch, and I wonder why it doesn't include the '<'
and '>' in the log entries. According to RFC 2822, the '<' and '>' are
part of the msg-id, and more importantly, all existing bounce, post,
smtp and vette log entries with msg-ids include them

>One minor test-suite oddity I noticed: about a third of the bounce
>messages in tests/bounces/ have mbox-style 'From VM Wed Mar 21
>22:20:23 2001' header lines.  Most of them seem harmless, but the one
>in hotpop_01.txt breaks the email.Message() parser because the line is
>">From daemon Tue Nov 13 13:43:50 2001".  Worth fixing?

Yes. I'll remove that bogus line from the test message.