[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter in default installation

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Mar 26 02:19:11 CET 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 10:49 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>> What?  I'm sorry, but Mailman has been blamed for backscatter for
>> like 3 years going now.
>
> If you say so.  I first heard of the issue within the last year, and
> that in the context of bouncing back whole messages.  And it wasn't
> from you.

Don't read any spam mailing lists or even Wikipedia much, eh?

> However, I have to wonder how your Mailman users will feel if you
> change your AUP, and they discover that the *only* post you've made
> (according to archive search) before going into BOFH mode is this one:

Mailman is currently violating our AUP.  I don't have any
responsibility for that.  In fact, my failure in this has been the
amount of lenience I have given Mailman users, hoping that you guys
would pay attention to all of the negative press and the fairly
constant barrage of people on this list questioning these issues.

> I see no urgency from you there, it got no response from the
> developers (shame on them, but these things happen), and you dropped
> the topic for almost a year.

The topic has never been dropped.  It has been repeatedly raised by
me and others, both on this list and to the developers in person.  It
has been raised even in the print press.  This whole "you didn't make
us aware of this problem" approach you are taking here is... got no
good words for this without being rude.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness