[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter indefault installation

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 11:07:21 CET 2008

--On 24 March 2008 18:07:29 -0700 Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:

> Sorry, as stated your proposal sounds either naive or insane.  No
> insult intended.

Please, think harder about what you write to the list. If you left an
insult in there that you were aware of, then you *are* intentionally
insulting people.

I'm on your side in theory. I've been asking various mailing list
developers to address this problem for years, with no progress anywhere.
But, I've lost patience with your apparent aggression here.

I'm pleased to see Mailman getting some development attention after what
appears to have been quite a long break. I know, though, that the
developers have been putting a lot of work in behind the scenes.

I do want to see backscatter addressed - if spam and backscatter aren't
indicative of security problems then I don't know what would be. I also
want to see huge usability improvements.

But, to see all of those things, we can't go trying to squeeze big changes
into small updates. And I don't think that insulting volunteer developers
is going to prove very productive.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex