[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter in default installation

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 11:58:18 CET 2008

--On 25 March 2008 08:13:49 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi at gnus.org>
wrote:

> These days, secondary MXs usually do SMTP callouts to verify whether
> email addresses are valid on the primary mail server.  It does, however,
> make the concept of a "secondary MX" less useful than it used to be.

Yes. The architecture sucks. We abandoned it about 10 years ago for an LDAP
user database that all our SMTP hosts (we have four peers) can access. The
database has four mirrors. If the database isn't available (I can't
remember the last occasion), we use a 4xx error and ask the sender to hang
on to the mail for us.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex