[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter indefault installation

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Wed Mar 26 20:14:58 CET 2008

On Wed, March 26, 2008 3:07 am, Ian Eiloart wrote:
> Please, think harder about what you write to the list. If you left an
> insult in there that you were aware of, then you *are* intentionally
> insulting people.

No, I wasn't.  But in case someone misread my statement regarding patent
facts of already installed software as an insult, I added the disclaimer
to make it clear.  My remarks were entirely fuctional.  Short of writing a
worm, you can't fix existing installations after the fact.

> I'm on your side in theory. I've been asking various mailing list
> developers to address this problem for years, with no progress anywhere.
> But, I've lost patience with your apparent aggression here.

Why is your patience satiated with Mailman, but lost with me?  I think you
need to turn those guns around and point them where they belong.

I have no aggression.  I do have a general desire to see this problem
solved, and I'm frustrated by the complete lack of action.

I sat through a meeting where every single abuse admin says that they
can't get Mailman installations to deal with the problems involved, even
when full documentation for how to solve the problem is provided - because
Mailman doesn't support the changes.  And general agreement that it was
perhaps time to close the door.

So I'm here, wasting my time, trying to get this solved so that just maybe
we won't be forced to all migrate to web forums.  Which would suck.

--
Jo Rhett
Network/Software Engineer