[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatter in default installation

Julian Mehnle julian at mehnle.net
Wed Mar 26 23:30:18 CET 2008

Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Tue, March 25, 2008 2:33 am, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> > You can however safely send a DSN if an SPF[1] check for the incoming
> > message passes.
>
> That's not "safe" but perhaps "safer".  But a lot of sites can't use
> SPF so they either don't use it, or use soft-fail.  I would only trust
> SPF results from explicit matches and PASS.

There are two parts to SPF: publishing SPF records for one's domains, and
checking SPF on incoming messages.  Everyone can do the SPF checking
part, even if they cannot publish SPF records themselves for whatever
reason.  SPF's alias-style forwarding issues aside, "Pass" results, when
achieved, are perfectly reliable and accurately indicate that the
envelope sender address can safely be bounced to.