[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code - Spam Defense

Timo Wingender timowi.lists at gmx.de
Thu Mar 27 17:59:42 CET 2008

Mark Sapiro schrieb:
> Jo Rhett wrote:
>

>> Timo Wingender wrote:
>>
>>> Discard messages from nonmembers is no option on most lists.
>>>
>> AFAIK it is an option, but not the default and defaults are rarely
>> changed in my experience.
>>

> I think that Timo is saying that for his purposes on his lists it is
> not viable for him to automatically discard messages from nonmembers,
> not that the option doesn't exist in Mailman.

I know how to discard messages automatically. But on most lists the
default is to hold them. The question is how mailman is used. If the
list are there for communication only with list members then it's an
option to discard messages. But if you use a list as an official contact
you cannot simply discard all messages from nonmembers.

Sometimes people send mails to a list from an alternative address or
someone not on the list wants to contact the list.  If this is an
intended use of a list then discard by default is no option.