[Mailman-Developers] before next release: disable backscatterin default installation

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Mar 28 08:14:09 CET 2008

Ian Eiloart writes:

 > At a penny per user, I could raise £100. That wouldn't do the job.

No, but if you can find 9 more like you, it would.  We heard from one
current Navy personnel, according to Jo Rhett that's a cool $25,000.
Hey, that could probably buy a month of Barry's time ... can you
imagine what we could do with a month of Barry's undivided
attention?<wink>  Or how about a month of Mark's time (problem with
Mark is I don't know if his boss is as sympathetic as Barry's boss is
likely to be ...)?

 > > I ask, where are these requirements written?
 >
 > You mean the requirement that the mail system be able to reject email from
 > non-members at SMTP time?

I mean the document that says that backscatter is a mortal sin, not
the document that says various people hold the personal opinion that
it would be nice if Mailman would to stop all backscatter.

 > If you read the thread carefully, you'll find that my position is that this
 > feature is a requirement, but not for 2.1, and maybe not even for 2.2. I
 > just want it to happen eventually.

I'm aware of that.  Jo Rhett lacks that kind of patience, and more
important, claims to be one of "dozens" similarly impatient

I really think this should happen for 2.2, though, and that 2.2 (or
something) should happen quite soon.  I plan to fix up my secondary MX
situation shortly, but not everybody in my situation can do that.

 > [This stuff isn't written anywhere more reliable than Wikipedia,
 > and that is] why I post to the list.

That's what I was afraid of.