[Mailman-Developers] mm-handler2.1.10(was:beforenextrelease:disable backscatter in defaultinstallation)

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Mar 29 22:23:29 CET 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Kenneth Porter wrote:
>>--On Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:37 AM -0700 Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>
>>> If so, it seems that rather than just dropping a 'bad' message as
>>> mm-handler seems to do when $BounceUnapproved = 0; and $BounceNonlist
>>> = 0;, wouldn't it be better to exit with a failure status.
>>Good idea. EX_NOUSER (67) would be a good code to return. Does Perl have a
>>module that defines these codes symbolically? I didn't see anything at
>>CPAN, but I found one here:
>The two exit codes that seem to make sense are EX_NOUSER (67) and
>EX_UNAVAILABLE (69). Perhaps EX_NOUSER for a non-existent list and
>EX_UNAVAILABLE for a non accepted suffix.
>I don't think perl defines these symbolically anywhere.

There is a potential problem with this, and I don't know enough about
the actual sendmail -> mm-handler interface to know if it is a problem
or not.

mm-handler parses its arguments from sendmail and builds a list of
recipients and then processes that list in a loop. If it is really the
case that a message addressed to, e.g., more than one list will be
passed from sendmail to mm-handler as one invocation with multiple
recipients, then the problem is you can only return one exit status,
and the desposition might not be the same for all recipients.