[Mailman-Developers] Using REST Interface and WADL

mk2s at digitalcommute.com mk2s at digitalcommute.com
Tue May 6 06:53:40 CEST 2008

Quoting Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org>:

> On Apr 13, 2008, at 5:35 PM, Maki Kato wrote:
[stuff deleted]
>>    - Documentation.  I'm hoping the xHTML representation will have
>> a way of being able to serve reasonable documentation.  So one
>> could point their browser to the REST interface and start browsing
>> to learn how the server is implemented.  We may want to distribute
>> a static set of HTML pages that has documentation and test(dummy)
>> data.
> Leonard Richardson is very hot on WADL.  Will we be able to generate
> that automatically or does that not have a place in the architecture
> you're thinking about?

I went to read up some more on WADL and ran into this:

I don't have any plans(yet) on auto generating the WADL, or did you
mean auto generating the documentation from the WADL file?  Are there
tools that do that?  I didn't find any such.

Currently I'm returning human readable text containing something like
documentation when you request the xHTML representation.  I've seen
this done before and figured it was a pretty good idea.  It is of no
use of course if you want to auto generate a client, as you would from
a description file.

Anyone else have any opinions or experiences with WADL?