[Mailman-Developers] Implementing multiple admin/mod passwords into 3.x

Jonathan Patrick Davies jdavies at ubuntu.com
Sun May 11 17:53:15 CEST 2008

Hey there everyone,

I am currently looking into implementing multiple administrator or
moderator passwords into the 3.x series of Mailman, and would like some
guidance as to what parts of the code I should poke around with.

When I say multiple passwords, I mean that an administrator of a mailing
list can log into the admin interface with his password for the mailing
list - instead of having one password to rule them all. Similar to the
way moderators on forum software work.

For example; I would like to be able to say:

    "jdavies is now a moderator and may log in using his list password"

Also, I understand that there may be situations where the
administrator/moderator may not wish to follow the threads in the list
but would like to perform the admin/mod role nonetheless - in this case
he/she would not have a list password to log in with. Does anyone know
where I could possibly implement a 'Don't send me email from this list'
option?

Right now, I'm looking into 'def AuthContextInfo(...)' in
3.0/mailman/SecurityManager.py - is this a good place to start working
on this?

Also, that snippet of code refers to getMemberPassword(user) - however I
cannot find this function defined in any part of the 3.x code. While in
2.2, I have found it under '2.2/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py'. Does
someone know what its status in 3.x is?

Cheers,
Jonathan
--