[Mailman-Developers] Unicode member addresses

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Nov 24 16:35:02 CET 2008

Last month a user encountered a problem with Decorate throwing a
TypeError because the interpolated footer was a unicode where it was
expected to be a string. See the thread at
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2008-October/063786.html>.

It turns out that he was interpolating user_address in the footer and
some of his member addresses are unicode causing the interpolated
footer to be unicode.

I note that since 2.1.3 (before my time) bin/list_members has had a
--unicode option to list unicode members. I can't see in current
Mailman how a member address can be unicode.

Are unicode addresses expected? Under what circumstances? Was this a
bug at one time?

My main concern is I worked up a patch
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/attachments/20081028/76521ff4/attachment-0001.txt>
to fix the TypeError for the user with the problem, and I wonder if it
should be committed in the current code.