[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and Extend.py

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Apr 15 00:23:43 CEST 2009

On Apr 14, 2009, at 5:28 PM, C Nulk wrote:

> I figured as much.  And thank you for answering my next question about
> Mailman 3.  Is there documentation somewhere I can read how to
> configure
> MM3 for using LDAP or any other back-end database?

Yes and no.  There are lots of doctests in the MM3 code, which
primarily serve as documentation.  Navigating around to find the
information you want may take some time as there's no overview.  There
are currently no doctests describing how to use different backends,
but the basic idea is that MM3 is strongly component based, using Zope
style interfaces.  If you can provide different implementations of the
backends for core objects (mostly in the mailman/database package),
then the rest of Mailman will just work.

Integrating different RDBMS should be pretty trivial.  If Storm
supports it, then it's just changing a URL in a config file.  For an
LDAP backend, it will take some additional implementation work to
write different implementations of IMailingList and such that don't do
SQL queries to gather the necessary information.

I'd be happy to help anybody who's interesting in building out an LDAP
backend.