[Mailman-Developers] Mailman and Extend.py

Chris Nulk CNulk at scu.edu
Fri Apr 17 18:53:30 CEST 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> C Nulk wrote:
>> Thank you for responding.  A quick question, will MM3 also support the
>> @list funtionality, both for the 4 *_these_nonmembers options and the
>> owner, moderator, and the ban_list options?
>

> I have a few remarks about this. The @listname feature was implemented
> in Mailman 2.1/2.2 after they diverged from 3.0 so it's not in 3.0 at
> this moment. It probably will be if it makes sense to do so.

Thank you for the info Mark.

> However, for your situation, the whole notion of a member adaptor per
> se goes away in 3.0 and is replaced by the backend database interface,
> so this may not be that significant.

Okay.  I understand.

> Regarding owner and moderator, my understanding (Barry will correct me)
> is that these roles are defined in the back-end rather than being list
> attributes per se so I think your question becomes moot at least for
> owner and moderator.

Don't have a problem with a backend database for deriving/managing the
members of a list, whether it be MySQL, Postgresql, LDAP, or anything
else.  Clearly makes sense to me.

It was just for the other "list of email addresses" options I was
curious about.  If they are defined by a backend database, am I
restricted to the same backend database as I am using for members list?
 Or, can I use a different backend for each of the "list of email
addresses" options whether it be LDAP, MySQL, Postgresql, etc. or any
combination of the mix?

Now, about an LDAP interface to MM3 (or possibly making the MM2 more
complete), is anyone interested in what ideas I have thought about?  If
so, a new thread should probably be started.

Thanks,
Chris