[Mailman-Developers] Searchable archives for MM

Bernd 'Siggy' Brentrup bsb at psycho.i21k.de
Fri Aug 7 23:55:00 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 13:40 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> >
> >In contrast to his suggestions (sth involving google search) I'm
> >aiming at a solution akin to Debian's Xapian powered ML search.
> >
> > cf  http://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search
> >
> >What do you think and is anybody else interested in working on
> >this?
>

> There are patches at <http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mm/index.html> that
> integrate the ht://Dig search engine with Mailman's archives. They
> work well.
>
> The problem with integrating these or some of the other solutions into
> the source is they require installation of software over which we have
> no control.

From a Debian point of view this isn't much of a problem, I might
create a patched mailman-searchable-archives package that depends on
htdig, eventually factoring out common parts to yield:

 mailman      mailman-searchable-archives
      \          /                    \
     mailman-common                  htdig

but it doesn't address concerns about pipermail.  MM 3 seems to
me to be an opportunity to address all these issues, we might
learn from ht://Dig or Xapian (both written in perl and C iirc)
to implement an enhanced pipermail.

These are only first thoughts, before deciding which way to go a lot
of research is still necessary and I'm open to any suggestions.

Regards
  Siggy
--
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de
               or:                bsb-at-psycho-dot-i21k-dot-de