[Mailman-Developers] Searchable archives for MM

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Aug 10 05:05:03 CEST 2009

On Aug 7, 2009, at 10:49 PM, Bernd Siggy Brentrup wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 22:02 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>> On Aug 7, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Bernd Siggy Brentrup wrote:
>>
>>> <duck> :) No need for this broad hint.
>>
>> Tim Peters would be proud at the power of the <wink>!
>>
>>> I was thinking about this option too and as soon as the issues
>>> with the old account Ubuntu automatically created for me when
>>> importing my Debian packages are solved I will create a pipermail
>>> project on launchpad and announce it here.
>>
>> That would be cool.  I wonder if we should make ~mailman-coders the
>> owner of that project?
>
> No objections from my side if you grant me admin rights.  As a surplus
> we don't have to wait for lp ppl to merge my accounts; there are some
> restrictions that inhibit merging e.g. creating a PPA, after all I
> want
> to be known on lp as ~bsb and not as ~bsb-psycho :-P

I think right now I don't want to open up admin rights on the mailman-
coders team.  If that means we should create a pipermail-coders team
for the pipermail project, that would be cool with me.

>> I will volunteer to help separate the code, and to work out how best
>> to integrate it for packaging.
>
> Thanks for this, did you write down any issues that should be
> addressed when revamping pipermail? One thing that comes to mind
> is how to deal with mime types and attachments.  I'd also like to
> see signatures validated. (On an aside, I hate these footers that
> make my messages not fully signed)

Here are the top priorities for me:

* Stable and predictable URLs.  We must guarantee that if the HTML
archive were blown away and regenerated from the raw messages, that
the urls to those messages will not change.  URLs must also be
predictable given only the information in the original message.
Mailman must be able to calculate a URL to the message in the archive
without communicating to the archiver.  See this wiki page for details
(already implemented on the Mailman side in MM3)

http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Stable+URLs

* Move away from mbox format for raw messages.  (maildir?)

* Use a modern backend for persistence (pickles suck)

* Use templates and make the archives easily customizable

* Use modern CSS, but Javascript sparingly and then with progressive
degradation.

* IWBNI all content were vended dynamically, with caching, so that
messages could be removed from the archive, or the style could be
changed, without a hard regen.

>>> p.s. Please respect my .signature, I'd really like to reenable
>>>   duplicate elimination.
>>
>> You can do this for Mailman lists, at least when you are explicitly
>> CC'd with an address that's subscribed to the list.  You'll get the
>> direct copy and not the list copy though.  That's the best Mailman
>> can do (anything more takes a better MUA ;).
>
> I know that's because I mentioned it, I didn't recall the variable
> name though.  In the first place I don't want to see 2 copies
> arriving, no MUA involved here.

That's because I was nice the first time and removed your name from
the recipients.  As they say "the first one's free" :)