[Mailman-Developers] Getting code in? (was: Storm basedMemberAdaptor for Mailman)

Andrew Grover andy.grover at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 21:07:09 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:57 AM, Barry Warsaw<barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2009, at 12:38 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> My concern is to not create additional 2.1 -> 2.2 -> 3 migration
>> headaches. If this is something that could ease the migration to MM 3
>> by providing a 'stepwise' path, that would be great. However, if it is
>> viewed as something that will be done for MM 2.2 and then totally
>> redone for MM 3, I'm afraid it will just encourage people to skip MM
>> 2.2 and wait for MM 3.
>
> The Storm based MemberAdapter is definitely a MM2-only thing.  The schema is
> so different in MM3 I don't see it as being a possible stepping stone.

One (bad) option would be to use a MM3-compatible schema for the new
2.2 code. This sounds bad for a few reasons: MM3 schema could change,
and an incomplete implementation of the (large) schema in our 2.2
Adaptor could increase the complexity and fragility of the upgrade
process.

Have you given any thought yet to the upgrade process? I'm assuming
there will be some utility to convert a MM2.2 installation to a MM3
one? One thought I had was that this utility would likely use the
Membership adaptor classes to pull data (as opposed to reading .pck
files directly) in which case the data source of the member data
should be opaque[1]?

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy

[1] of course if database or table names overlap, it goes boom