[Mailman-Developers] Proposed: remove address-obfuscation code from Mailman 3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Aug 25 07:35:49 CEST 2009

Rich Kulawiec writes:

 > Pretending that address obfuscation in mailing list [or newsgroup]
 > archives will have any meaningful effect on this process gives
 > users a false sense of security and has zero anti-spam value.

You're missing the point.  Our (often non-technical) users demand this
feature.  Even our technical audience (see Siggy's parallel post for
example) perceives benefits from obfuscation, based on empirical tests.

So you can explain why, in theory and in practice, obfuscation doesn't
work.  But the user base will (stubbornly, if you like) refuse to
accept your logic.