[Mailman-Developers] Proposed: remove address-obfuscation code fromMailman 3

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Aug 29 00:08:05 CEST 2009

On Aug 25, 2009, at 7:42 AM, skip at pobox.com wrote:

> The other thing about Mailman's obfuscation is that I sorta think
> that by
> now the spammers have figured it out.  I mean, "skip at pobox.com"?
> Come
> on.  Even Barry stands a good chance of writing a regular expression
> that
> can locate something like that, his self-deprecation about his r.e.
> prowess
> notwithstanding.  :-) If nothing else, all an enterprising spammer
> would
> have to do is steal Mailman's email address matcher and replace "@"
> with "
> at ".  Oh, wait, it's open source.  They wouldn't even have to steal
> the
> code.

I've always wanted to re-architect the archives so that they would /
always/ vend the messages from an active process.  I wouldn't have any
static files, except a cache for efficiency, and I would generate the
HTML on demand.  My guess is that 99% of all archived messages are
never read by a human.  The problem of course is spiders but I guess
they'll just warm up your cache. ;/

This would allow:

* easy redeployment of new obfuscation techniques
* on demand take downs or sanitization
* easy site regeneration for style changes.