[Mailman-Developers] Proposed: remove address-obfuscation code from Mailman 3

Bernd Siggy Brentrup lists at psycho.i21k.de
Sat Aug 29 07:10:38 CEST 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 18:03 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> What I'm thinking is that there should be a "send me this message"
> link in the archive, which gets you a copy as it was originally sent
> to the list.  That let's you jump into a conversation as if you'd
> been there originally.

Another use case comes up when coming back from temporarily disabled
delivery where you want to participate in an ongoing discussion. I've
always dreamed of a ml-request at listdomain function that retransmits
any messages in References to me.  It's clear that MM has to delegate
this to the archiver.

> Something like this would be cool for another reason.  Assuming you
> could trust the long term storage at the archive site (enough) it
> would eliminate the last reason why I locally archive any public
> mailing list messages.

... indicating your internet connection is by orders of magnitude
better than mine :)

To get on topic again: regarding address obfuscation in the archives,
I noted:

  - obfuscate by default,
  - the archive admin may choose not to obfuscate but this fact
    will be stated clearly on every archive page à la:
    Email addresses are visible per choice of mailto:archiv-owner.

Regards
  Siggy
--
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org+