[Mailman-Developers] Anybody looking for an insane project?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Dec 9 18:01:29 CET 2009

If anybody is looking for something cool, crazy, and experimental to work on for Mailman 3, I have am idea that would fun to explore if I had more free time.

I wonder if RFC 3028[1] could be useful in Mailman.  This RFC defines the Sieve language for mail filtering.  I seem to recall that there's a Python implementation of it, but atm I cannot find it.  It's probably most appropriate for advanced users, but perhaps the new web ui could provide some simple access to the more common actions.

Some places where it would be useful:

* list admins for filtering out off-topic posts
* site admins for filtering out known spammers
* a better user-defined topic selection machinery
* users for defining which of their registered addresses to deliver to

I'm sure we'd think of lots more cool and wacky ways to use this if we had it.

So, who'd like to take up the challenge?

-Barry

[1] http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3028.html