[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 and LTMP

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Jan 2 18:06:56 CET 2009

Hi William,

The Mailman 3 branch is nearly ready for the next alpha release.  I've
been working on some major structural changes that should make
development go much faster.

First, I've converted the installation infrastructure over to
zc.buildout.  This is a easy to use, but powerful way to build and
deploy Mailman, and it helps manage dependencies in a transparent
way.  Second, I've converted much, but not all, of the configuration
system over to lazr.config, which provides a nice way to stack ini-
style configurations.  For now, you still have to manually edit
Defaults.py for some things, but I plan on finishing that conversion
after the next release.

The state of the branch is nearly functional on its own, minus the web
interface.  This provides a nice platform for integrating MM3 with
external systems.  I do plan on implementing the REST admin interface
next.

The one hang up currently is incoming mail.  I think it would simplify
things if we shipped MM3 with LTMP support out of the box.  William
has done a lot of work to improve the LMTP server in MM3 and I'd like
to go about integrating that into the main line.

There are a few problems with William's branch though: lp:~wilunix/
mailman/lmtp

First, it seems like the initial revision was not made from a branch
of the main line, but instead imported into revision 1.  This makes it
much more difficult to suss out the differences in William's branch,
especially with tracking the changes to the main branch since then.
Second, there seems to be a bunch of extraneous files committed in
William's branch, such as log files and database files.  These clearly
need to be removed before the branch can be merged.

William, please contact me off-list so that we can address these.
We'll also need to have a chat about FSF copyright assignments.

Finally, I would like to get input from MTA experts on this list as to
the best way to integrate the various MTAs with Mailman's LMTP
server.  Specifically, I'm looking at fixing and improving bin/
genaliases for each of the MTAs.  I've looked at Postfix's
documentation, but sadly to me it seems quite lacking as to best
recommendations.  I know Exim and Sendmail support LTMP, but I don't
have as much experience with hooking them up.

If you have input on the best way to connect Mailman and an MTA via
LMTP, please add it to this page: http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/LMTP+process
  and follow up to this message.

Thanks and Happy New Year.
- -Barry