[Mailman-Developers] Web Interface: Login

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Mon Mar 23 15:20:38 CET 2009

* Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org>:

> On Mar 23, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
>
>> I think it makes sense to simplify the interface and have only one
>> login page,
>> but ...
>>
>> Subscribers need to provide their mail address (authentication
>> identity) and
>> their password. Admin and moderators currently don't have to.
>
> This is broken, for many reasons.  It's this way because MM2 doesn't
> have a notion of roles, so "admin" and "moderator" is defined solely
> because you know a password.  This password is shared among all people
> sharing that role, which is another reason why this is broken.

Agreed.

> Ideally, (in MM3) Mailman would have accounts, which would be separate
> from but linked with the email addresses it manages for lists and such.
> It should be separate in the sense that authentication information may
> come from external systems, e.g. your content management user accounts,
> or Launchpad, or OpenID, etc.

Yes, I think a role model is a good idea and using external services is IMO a
good idea too.

>> If we had only one login page, would that require admin and moderators to
>> provide an authentication identity too and not only their password?  (At
>> the moment I believe this would be a benefit. One could have more than one
>> admin without having them share one password.)
>>
>> Would that break any upgrade compatibility for none MM3 lists?
>
> Let's worry only about MM3 lists here.  We'll have to deal with
> upgrading/importing from MM2 at some point, but if possibly I'd like to
> not compromise the MM3 design with worrying about importing from MM2.

Fine. I will work with a unified login model then.

p at rick

--
state of mind
Agentur für Kommunikation, Design und Softwareentwicklung

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15	   Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666