[Mailman-Developers] Set cookies for global authentication

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon May 18 03:37:28 CEST 2009

Hopkins, Justin wrote:

>I manage approx 50 discussion lists using the mailman system. The nature
>of our organization is that one member is more than likely subscribed to
>more than just 1 list. One issue that has come up among the membership
>is the desire to authenticate only once and then be permitted to access
>the private archives for all lists that they are subscribed to without
>logging in again.
>
>I've noticed that using administrative credentials created a cookie
>named 'site' whereas a normal login creates a cookie identifying the
>users email address and the individual list.
>
>Has anyone worked on changing this functionality, or is it planned for
>Mailman 3? I've scoured list archives and the internet in general and
>haven't found even a hint that anyone is working on this or even feels
>like it's worth complaining about.

Did you look at <http://wiki.list.org/x/vgAM>? The very first paragraph
says in part "Many things that people have been wanting for years will
be addressed, most notably a unified user database ...".

The unified user database will address this and several other issues
involving user email addresses, roles, authentication, etc.