[Mailman-Developers] Should Mailman provide periodic activity summaries to list owners?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri May 22 06:27:35 CEST 2009

A quick search didn't find anything, so I'll do a more careful check
and if there's nothing I'll add a tracker RFE and a short wiki page of
the imagined feature, probably on Monday.  Unfortunately, I can't
volunteer to implement at this time.

Details:

I noticed that we've been getting a lot of posts from users who are
being quite diligent about following up on their own issues, to the
extent of their knowledge and accesses, but for one reason or another
are not using the logs.

Would it be desirable and feasible to send a periodic (options: daily,
weekly, monthly, never) activity summary to list owners (similar to
the tracker summaries that many trackers send to associated mailing
lists)?

If someone's list is having problems, then they could get access via
the admin interface, which would simply wrap the text report which
would be generated for mailing in an HTML PRE element, making for
trivial implementation (once the report itself is implemented, of
course).

Something like

Week of May 17-23, 2009

44 incoming messages processed (42 posts, 2 other)

1 message automatically discarded
2 messages held (1 non-member, 1 spam filter) of which
  2 messages were approved
41 messages distributed to members
2 weekly digests produced (maximum size reached 1 time(s))
20 SMTP errors occurred of which
  18 posts handled normally by bounce processing
  2 subscription requests (probable backscatter)

Abstract of discarded messages