[Mailman-Developers] FR: obscure email address in archives

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Nov 11 15:40:47 CET 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 6:52 AM, Joost Schuttelaar wrote:

> When the obscure email address feature in the admin settings is
> enabled, e-mail addresses are transformed into the format 'xxx AT
> xxx' in the archives. This may have worked 5 years ago to prevent
> spam harvesting. But it does not work anymore.
>
> I've patched (well... butchered) my own install by modifying
> HyperArch.py to simply output 'EMAIL HIDDEN' instead of the obscured
> e-mail address, by replacing the regexes to a constant string at
> line 284.

Agreed.  I'm in the process right now of separating Pipermail (from
the Mailman 3 branch) into its own project on Launchpad.  Hopefully
this will enable and inspire folks to contribute changes to that
project.

I plan to structure it as a typical distutils-style project so that
it's very easy to integrate into Mailman, but separate enough that
it's useful on its own.  You can follow the progress here:

https://launchpad.net/pipermail