[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 3 and LMTP

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Nov 29 19:55:08 CET 2009

On Nov 29, 2009, at 1:39 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dhcp3/+bug/340383>

Thanks, I've added this to the wiki page.

>>> That's because LaMont Jones delivers the Debian/Ubuntu Postfix
>>> package
>>> chrooted. If Postfix runs chrooted it uses /var/spool/postfix/etc/
>>> hosts
>>> instead of /etc/hosts.
>>
>> Ah, the pieces click together.  Thanks!
>
> BTW: Postfix notes that /etc/hosts and /var/spool/postfix/etc/hosts
> differ on
> reload (at least on Debian/Ubuntu) and it sends a simliar note to
> syslog.

Yeah, that's how I found out about it in the first place. ;)

> I know experience tells us not to look at logs because logging and
> writing
> documentation is something you only get when you pay for it... ;)
> However with
> Postfix it pays to read the log. Wietse did a good job on this.

Indeed!

>> Yep, I like setting the service name to mailman3.  I'll note that
>> Ubuntu's Postfix-Dovecot package already has a service for mailman
>> (i.e. 2.x) which uses postfix-to-mailman.py.
>
> If we came up with a reasonable set of default settings for the
> mailman3
> service I take these to the Postfix developer list and try to have
> them added
> to the Postfix default master.cf file.

+1.  I've opened LP bug 490030 to track the changes needed in Mailman.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bug/490030

>> Excellent!  I forgot that one other thing must happen before 3.0 can
>> be released; we need a migration script from 2.1.x to 3.0.
>
> May I complement the list?
>
> - logo contest

Yep, it's actually on my TODO list after I get 3.0a4 out.  I also need
to finish setting up i18n.

> - send the web interface off to a usability lab

+1.  IIRC, Terri was going to look into this, but I'm not sure what's
happened with that.