[Mailman-Developers] a patch for French localization

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Oct 13 17:00:06 CEST 2009

Daniel Novotny wrote:

>the python config file obtained from "config_list -o" has localization problem.
>When the preferred_langage is set to french 'fr', the # -*- coding: %(charset)s
>-*- \n" header is translated to "# -*- codage : %(charset)s -*-\n", that
>generates an unparseable configuration file.

A similar issue exists with Spanish 'es' and Hebrew 'he'. I'm not sure
how serious this is since the only non-ascii in the file is in
comments and string literals. In fact, several other translations drop
the "coding" line entirely. I don't understand how this would render
the file "unparseable" when used as input to python or config_list.

However, it is incorrect to translate "coding" to another language, so
I will fix these three.

Note also that there is a problem with the patch. There should be no
space between 'coding' and the following colon.
Ref<http://docs.python.org/reference/lexical_analysis.html#encoding-declarations>