[Mailman-Developers] Reply-To munging considered *carefully*

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Wed Oct 14 20:23:26 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 08:33 -0700, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> Anyway, Barry asked:
>
> >> Have you never wanted to reply privately to the author of a mailing
> >> message?
>
> Of course.  But it's not the common case; the common case is:
> continue
> the discussion, on-list.  So you're wanting to do soemthing other
> than
> the default, so you should *have* to do something differently in
> order
> to accomplish it.
>
> Mailing lists are different from other kinds of email; otherwise why
> have lists at all?

Exactly.

I've also needed to reply privately.  I find it _far_ easier to remove
addresses from the To: bar than it is to look them up and add them.  Of
course, that's just me: I'm not über-1337 or anything like that, so I
don't have an SQLite database or 30 in my head.

See my reply from a few moments ago for (the start of!) an idea that
might make sense in today's technological environment and aims to please
both ends of the spectrum, including people close to the middle such as
myself.

	--- Mike

--
Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
our mark.” —Michelangelo