[Mailman-Developers] MM feature request - spread out the pain

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Apr 2 14:30:33 CEST 2010

skip at pobox.com writes:

 > I assume the monthly reminder emails have be canned for a reason.  They do
 > have the nice property of sending something to every subscribed address,
 > even those who are set NOMAIL.

That's a good point.  I think a better way to handle this might be an
Urgent flag (I guess we can't use Precedence for this, unfortunately,
list mail should still be bulk in most cases) accompanied by an
appropriate authentication.

This could eventually be generalized so that users could filter (some
users might want only Announce or above, others of more catholic tasts
would go for Spam or better<wink>).  That might (or might not) be a
better idea than having PROJECT-discuss subscribed to PROJECT-announce.

 > MM2 doesn't seem to have a through-the-web way to gather all list
 > members from the admin's web interface.  Will MM3?

I hope so[1]; this is a FAQ anyway.

Footnotes:
[1]  Ie, this should be done by Mailman 3's RESTful API, not an
end-around by using an LDAP server or whatnot to hold the address db,
and accessing the LDAP server outside of Mailman.