[Mailman-Developers] Suggestions about Mailman bounce processing

Superticker2 (Mark) superticker2 at iastate.edu
Mon Dec 27 09:16:48 CET 2010

I'm not a subscriber to this list, so please include me
superticker2{at}iastate.edu on your cc: line.

I have two suggestions I would like to make concerning Mailman bounce
processing:

1) All bounces from either a Mass Subscribe or Mass Invite operation should
be unconditionally and immediately sent to the list owner.

There can be many typos in these Mass Subscribe/Invite lists, and the list
owner needs to correct these typos _immediately_.  In addition, some of
these mass subscription lists come from paper sign-up lists by foreign
students where the English alphabet is new to them.  Trying to decipher
their email addresses can result in 10% typos and bounces, which need
immediate corrections.

2) All bounces should be immediately directed to the list owner if bounce
processing is switched off.

For small lists, it makes the most sense for the list owner to handle
bounces manually.  Often he'll know the recipients personally and their new
email addresses, which he can fix himself when they bounce.  As it stand
today, there could be 100s of bad addresses on an email list without
anyone's knowledge if bounce processing is off; this is bad design.