[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request - Interactive HTML Digests

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Feb 22 14:19:34 CET 2010

On 2010-02-20 11:31 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 2/20/2010 4:09 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> On 2010-02-20 1:23 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>>> Tanstaafl writes:
> Actually, you are not talking about interacting with message headers at
> all. You are talking about an HTML document which contains some
> rendering of message headers and contents and some buttons which may or
> may not do what you want them to depending on the specific MUA that you
> use to view this HTML document.

Actually, I was talking about (though admittedly wasn't very clear)
whether or not MM3 could work some magic when building the digest to
make this work.

Meaning, MM has the individual, fully intact messages, including the
full headers - so I was thinking that *maybe* (I'm not saying it can be
done, I'm asking the question) it could work some kind of magic through
some scripting on the backend, to build an HTML digest with embedded
links that could somehow invoke *the MUAs* Reply functions, but feeding
the MUA what is necessary to make it *think* it is replying to the
individual message rather than the digest.

But maybe its just not possible...

> If you want things like quoting only selected text, the digest would
> not only need to be an HTML page, but an HTML page with javascript.
> Would you use an MUA that executed javascript in HTML email? Even
> Microsoft eventually figured out that automatically running
> executables in email was a really bad idea, no matter what useful
> things could be done with it.

Ok, agreed about the JS, but again I was thinking this could be left to
the mail client - if *it* is capable of quoting only selected text, then
it would 'just work'... I mean, it works now in TB3, so...

> I actually find interacting with the MIME format digest where I have the
> ability to open any specific message of interest and reply to it (even
> quoting only selected text if the MUA supports it) to be fairly
> painless, and it doesn't break threading.

Ok, but this doesn't work for me right now with the mailman-users list,
apparently because the List headers aren't there?

> No. Just put
>
> MIME_DIGEST_KEEP_HEADERS.append('List-Post')
>
> in mm_cfg.py.

But I can't do that for lists that aren't under my control...

My question was about where to add a feature request to:

1. make this a configurable option in the GUI, and

2. make it enabled by default with a similar 'strongly recommended'
   comment next to it like it is with the same setting for individual
   messages.

Although I can't think of any, apparently I'm missing something else and
there is one or more good reason[s] I haven't thought of to do this,
otherwise it would already be the default?

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to consider this and respond as you
all have...

--

Charles