[Mailman-Developers] Auto-reject

Jonathan Knight j.knight at kis.keele.ac.uk
Mon Feb 22 17:43:38 CET 2010

We've been using mailman for a number of years and are very happy with
it, especially the integration that's possible with Exim.

However - I've recently met a problem that seems to be a common theme in
the mailing lists but without an accepted solution so I thought I just
check with the experts.

We wish to have a size limit applied to any message sent to our mailing
lists.  This is going to be determined by our mailing lists
administrators.  The problem is that the administrators do not want the
moderators to be able to override that limit.

As far as I can tell, whatever limits the administrators set will only
cause the message to be sent to the moderators, who can then override
the wishes of the administrators and send out the message anyway.  Our
administrators are technical and will set limits based on what our
servers are able to handle.  The moderators will be communications
experts who can assess the quality of the message but are not technical.

I supose what I'm looking for is the auto-reject facility for an
exceeded message size and I notice the same request scattered through
the mail archives.  I wonder whether there is an accepted solution for
doing this?

Jon