[Mailman-Developers] Mailman/Forge Integration

christian.bayle at orange-ftgroup.com christian.bayle at orange-ftgroup.com
Tue Feb 23 13:40:34 CET 2010

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2010, at 04:48 PM, christian.bayle at orange-ftgroup.com wrote:
>

>> We (Coclico-project http://www.coclico-project.org/) have started some
>> work on a better integration of mailman and forges
>>

> Hi Christian,
>
> This is really interesting work from a number of perspectives.  You might be
> aware that my day job is working on Launchpad <http://launchpad.net> which is
> a Zope-based open source (AGPL) software hosting service developed by
> Canonical for development of Ubuntu.  As part of that work, I integrated
> Mailman 2.x with Launchpad, and of course all of that code has been released
> as part of Launchpad.
>
> We did not override Security Manager, since we expose a much simpler (some bug
> reporters would say *too* simple ;) admin interface to Mailman through the
> Launchpad web ui.  We actually don't expose the Mailman web ui at all.  If
> you're interested in more information about what we did, I'd be happy to
> provide it.

Yes would be great, how do you install mailman? do you use debian/ubuntu
package?
We had a look at mailman 3.0 but as far as we understood it's still
under development
and there is not yet user interface, but a restfull api.

We didn't find any mailman package, which is the first show stopper, we
would be interested in testing it/ work on it, as one of my alternate
identity is bayle at debian dot org.

Any information about 3.0 packaging is welcome ;-)

> (As an aside, I wonder if it would be interesting to find ways for Launchpad
> to exchange information with the forges?)

Launchpad  has many interesting  pieces, that  would probably fit in a
forge, it has a least the common goal of providing integrated tools for
developpers.

One of the Coclico project goal is to facilitate tools integration, and
especially focus on integration aspects like
Authentication/Session/Identification/Autorization and of course it
would be great to be able to share information between Forges and Launchpad.

Concrete use cases are :
- don't recreate users in all tools
- keep session between tools
- common group and autorization between tools, so project manager don't
have to redo for every tools

> Your patches are to Mailman 2.1, but that version is in maintenance-only mode,
> so we wouldn't be able to apply them to upstream.  Our focus is on Mailman 3
> and I would be really interested in any feedback and experience you might have
> integrating that version with the forges.

We don't have (yet?) but of course we are interested in the fact that
the work will also be available for next mailman versions.
>> I know there is also some work made to integrate mailman and forge
>> forums, we would like to deal with too.
>>

> I'm very interested in this work too.

Manuel Vacelet gave some more informations.

I consider that forums/lists/news/blogs are message threads with
different access, but are mainly of same nature and should probably be
more or less unified.
>> Our next step is to make mailman a forge plugin to demonstrate how it
>> could make easier to use mailing lists in forges.
>>

> I intend to work on integrating Mailman 3 with Launchpad sometime in the next
> six months or so (I'm temporarily working on a different project at
> Canonical).  I suspect that the work to do this will have some overlap with
> your work.

Don't hesitate to share info about it, we'll do too if we make some
progress on this.

Christian

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
Messages are susceptible to alteration.
If you are not the intended addressee of this message, please cancel it immediately and inform the sender.