[Mailman-Developers] Feature Request - Interactive HTML Digests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 25 16:01:40 CET 2010

Tanstaafl wrote:

>Hmmm... another brain-dead suggestion... keep the messages fully intact
>as attachments, but also convert/dump the plain-text content into the
>Digest body for purposes of scrolling between messages and the message
>summary at the top? Yes, it would increase the size of the digest - but
>text is small, so maybe it wouldn't be all that bad?

Yes, that would be possible, but how would you tell the MUA to hide the
attached messages until they are explicitly opened?

In other words, this would be effectively the current MIME format
digest except the front matter would be an HTML part similar to the
Yahoo Digest.

Stephen has expressed this well in another reply, but instead of asking
for a NEW digest format which no MUA will initially at least
understand, why not ask the developers of your MUA of choice to do a
better job of presenting the existing, standard MIME multipart/digest
format message in a way more to your liking.

I.e., there's no inherent reason why Tbird for example couldn't present
the MIME digest as it currently does and also present an "open as
subfolder" button to do exactly that.