[Mailman-Developers] adding new features for site admin (webUI)

Kovács Zoltán kovzol at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 12:59:56 CET 2010

Dear Developers,

My task is to enhance the web admin interface for mailman-2.1.x, requested
by one of my customers. As a programmer, I learned that I need to add some
lines of code into Mailman/Cgi/admin.py (or listinfo.py).

I also learned that there are upcoming versions (2.2 and 3.0) which may have
a different (completely rewritten) interface. As far as I can understand the
current version (2.1.x) can be a widely used one for several years, so my
changes will be fruitful for the community for a few years or so.

I'd like to add the following new features. My customer is running 100+
different lists with 500+ users. So my customer asks me to give a web
interface for the following:

* Remove a given user from all lists. If a user to be removed is a list
admin, then a warning should come instead.
* Change the email address of a given user in all lists.

I know that these requests could be done via the command line interface, but
my customer would like to maintain these task via web.

My questions to you are:

* If my code is of quality, will it be a part of the mainstream code (from
2.1.14 or so)?
* Is admin.py the right place for such an enhancement?

Thank you for your answer in advance.

Yours,
Zoltan Kovacs
http://particio.com/english/