[Mailman-Developers] adding new features for site admin (webUI)

Kovács Zoltán kovzol at particio.com
Fri Jan 29 11:26:49 CET 2010

Dear All,

Thank you for the worthy answers! In the meanwhile I started to write a
subsystem which is about to be introduced for production use. It is not
fully functional yet, e.g. administrator email changes are missing yet, but
the software is already usable. I uploaded it to
http://particio.com/downloads/mmsawt-0.6.tar.gz.

2010. január 2. 17:23 Mark Sapiro írta, <mark at msapiro.net>:

> On 1/2/2010 3:59 AM, Kovács Zoltán wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to add the following new features. My customer is running 100+
> > different lists with 500+ users. So my customer asks me to give a web
> > interface for the following:
> >
> > * Remove a given user from all lists. If a user to be removed is a list
> > admin, then a warning should come instead.
>

> Note that as far as Mailman is concerned, there is no requirement that a
> list owner or moderator be a member of the list.

Thanks for pointing out this!

> > * Change the email address of a given user in all lists.
> >
> > I know that these requests could be done via the command line interface,
> but
> > my customer would like to maintain these task via web.
> >
> > My questions to you are:
> >
> > * If my code is of quality, will it be a part of the mainstream code
> (from
> > 2.1.14 or so)?
> > * Is admin.py the right place for such an enhancement?
>

> As has been pointed out, All new feature development is now focused on
> Mailman 3, so your changes won't be incorporated in 2.1.
>
> While you could add these changes to the existing admin web interface,
> it may not be really appropriate because the web admin interface is for
> a given list, and in general, one list admin should not be able to
> change things on other lists.
>
> I think a more appropriate place to do this may be on the user options
> page. You could add a 'globally' check box to the unsubscribe request
> (there already is one for the address change), and you could accept
> these from the site admin without confirmations.
>
> Otherwise you could consider a totally separate site admin GUI.

This is what I chose.

> As far as contributing your changes to the community is concerned, the
> best way is to create a Bazaar branch at
> https://code.launchpad.net/mailman and make your changes there.

OK, I'll do that, but I should learn Bazaar first. I guess it should be
quite straightforward. If you find my contribution useful, I'll happily
learn Bazaar and upload my scripts. Of course, the current package I
uploaded to particio.com is also available for the community.

> But, I would encourage you to get involved with MM 3. It may not be as
> far off as you think.

:-) Yes, I read the news that you are working hard on MM 3. I hope I'll have
some time to try it soon!

Yours, Zoltan