[Mailman-Developers] UI for Mailman 3.0 update

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Thu Jun 3 17:56:37 CEST 2010

hey,

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 02:29:40PM +0200, Anna Granudd wrote:
> my name is Anna and I'm participating in GSoC for Systers where my project
> this summer is to develop a new UI for Mailman 3.0 as well as a UI extension
> for Systers who are running a customized version of Mailman.

I think I may be missing something: "Systers". Is this something
specific?

> The UI will be
> written as an app in Django. Together with my mentor Florian we've discussed
> some general matters regarding the UI and the most recent concern adding a
> database for it. We figured it might be good to use the core db only for the
> "standard" UI with which we'll communicate through the rest-client and for
> organizations wishing to customize the UI, such as Systers, we'll let them
> add a UI db.

Do translations/i18n aspects come under UI customizations?

> Other things we've discussed was the number of apps for the UI, if we should
> use only one or if we should separate it into, for instance, one app for the
> user UI's and one for the admin UI, or possibly split it up even more.
> We've gathered all our thoughts on
> http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Web+Interface+Status and now we'd like to
> get some feedback from you people as well as to find out if you have other
> opinions or ideas for us. I/we would really appreciate your help on this.

In "Features to be implemented first"

    1. Ability for users to subscribe, manage subscriptions,
       unsubscribe, change emails
    2. Admin ability to create/delete lists via pre-defined styles
    3. Users ability to customize their subscirptions

s/subscirptions/subscriptions/

    4. Moderation
    5. Site admin ability to create domains, add and modify
       styles
    6. List admin ability to customize lists

I think admins being able to set-up/customize lists, is probably
equally important, if not more important, then being able to
(un)sub; if the lists can't easily be set-up, then what's the point in
having people subscribe to them?

``Freedom of the press in Britain means freedom to print such of the
  proprietor's prejudices as the advertisers don't object to.''
  (Hannen Swaffer)