[Mailman-Developers] installing Mailman 3.0

Anna Granudd anna.granudd at gmail.com
Wed May 5 18:29:07 CEST 2010

Hi,
I downloaded the latest Mailman branch from Launchpad (using bzr branch
lp:mailman) and tried installing it but ran into some trouble. The commands
I was told to use for the installation were: "python bootstrap.py" followed
by "bin/buildout" and "bin/test" (I assume the bin-folder will be created
after the bootstrap file is run since I don't have it right now). However,
running the first command I encounter the following error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bootstrap.py", line 69, in <module>
ws.find(pkg_resources.Requirement.parse('setuptools')).location
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'location'

The file belong to my user which was also used for the python command
(meaning I did not use sudo to run it, although doing so gives me the same
error). Any tips how I should proceed to install Mailman 3.0 and should the
commands be run using sudo? I should probably add a user "mailman" instead
of using my own, but right now I'm more interested in getting the whole
thing to run. I currently run Kubuntu 10.04 and Python v. 2.6.5 if that
might have something to do with the error message.

Thanks,
Anna