[Mailman-Developers] Archives! Two neat demos from my GSoC students

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Oct 28 01:20:06 CEST 2010

Terri Oda writes:

 > But there's only a handful of developers working on this, and I think
 > the overhead, however small, is more than it's worth at the moment.  So
 > maybe we could keep them integrated for now until it's more clearly a
 > win to split the tree off?

What worries me is that pipermail's "integration" with Mailman has
been a blocker (at the very least, sufficiently enthusiasm-sapping)
for real improvements in Mailman's archiving system for about a
*decade*.  OK, so the new archiver/searcher is whizzy and nice, but
realistically, people are going to find a million use cases that the
new system doesn't do yet.  Some people will prefer pipermail (if only
from inertia).  Some will want to use a third-party system.  It needs
to be easy for people to choose.

If we don't do the surgery now, when will it get done?