[Mailman-Developers] Google Summer of Code

Florian Fuchs f at state-of-mind.de
Mon Apr 4 17:53:11 CEST 2011

Hi Andrew,

On 03.04.2011 19:33, Andrew Rodman wrote:
> Hello, my name is Andrew Rodman and I'm a college student looking to get
> involved in your Mailman mailing list manager through Google's Summer of
> Code.
Sounds good!

> This is my first year investigating the program and I'm unsure about
> the steps I need to take to apply for this project. I'm assuming I need to
> write a project proposal but I'm not entirely sure where to start my
> research for this application. Would you mind pointing me in the right
> direction?
A good place to start would be the ideas page in the Mailman wiki:

http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Google+Summer+of+Code+2011

If you find something that interests you I think it would be best to
share your thoughts with one (or more?) of the Mentors before you apply
- either by posting/subscribing to mailman-developers at python.org, or by
directly talking to one of us on IRC. We're always happy to discuss
ideas, plans, concerns,... and then find the right mentor for your project.

For the technical part: Mailman is registered under the umbrella of the
Python Software Foundation, so the place to file your application would
be the PSF's SoC page:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2011/python

You can also find an application template there with the most basic
information needed to apply.

So... That's it for a start, I guess. My nick on IRC (#mailman on
freenode.net) is florianf. Feel free to ping me if you have any further
questions! (I'm UTC +2 hours, usually online during work hours.)

Cheers
Florian