[Mailman-Developers] feature request: one-click setting to preserve DKIM

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Dec 6 20:36:27 CET 2011

On 12/06/11 11:17, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> It depends on your expectations.  If there's an expectation that the author's signature will/should/must persist through a mailing list, then I agree that they're largely incompatible.  If on the other hand you intend for lists to re-sign mail and for receivers to evaluate the message based on the list signature rather than the author signature, then it's entirely workable.  Of course, sometimes the author signature will indeed survive, and then you have two domains to evaluate instead of one.  Bonus!

There were a lot of "it depends" in your email, so maybe I've mis-read,
but it sounds to me like the long-term path of least user/list admin
hassle for Mailman probably is to just re-sign the messages.  Except
that there's no standard for third parties doing re-signing, and no
one's sure how to interpret it if we do?

As a developer, this sounds the makings of one of those life-sucking
projects you shouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole unless you're getting
paid to define and defend a standard.  There's no guarantee that
anything we choose to do will ever be considered correct, and it could
wind up being a lot of arguing and wasted effort at a time when I think
we're better off just getting mailman 3 out the door.

Which is a pity, because this seems like a great opportunity for us to
trailblaze and help correct a mistaken assumption in DKIM.  Maybe the
other developers are a lot more excited about that than I am and willing
to take the risk of implementation, but maybe we should just keep an eye
on the expansion of DKIM and revisit this issue after Mailman 3 is released?

It sounds like our best option for the near future is to write up a nice
little document describing the issue, Monica's fix for lists where DKIM
is essential, and leave it at that as far as code goes until things move
a bit closer to consensus on how DKIM should handle mailing lists
long-term.  As a bonus, a nice little document could also be usable with
2.1! If anyone needs wiki author permissions to do this, let me know.

  Terri