[Mailman-Developers] MM 3.0 build error

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Dec 19 17:30:09 CET 2011

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for downloading MM3 and giving it a try.  Please note that the bzr
branch is a little more up-to-date, and I'll be working over the xmas break to
integrate authentication into the REST API.  Once that's done, look for the
first beta early in 2012.

On Dec 18, 2011, at 11:31 PM, Panks wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>This is Pankaj, I have decent knowledge of C++ and a little bit
>of practice in python (I did some projects in python), I am new to Mailman
>and I am interested in contributing to it. Today I downloaded the source of
>MM 3.0 from launchpad and saw few bugs, I installed apache and got it
>running and installed Exim too, but while running _bootstrap.py_ from MM
>source directory, I'm getting this output in terminal:

We don't have official Exim integration yet.  We really need an Exim expert to
help us with the integration point, although given that (I believe) Exim
supports LMTP, it might be pretty easy.  We use LMTP to inject messages into
MM3 from Postfix, and of course SMTP to inject messages into the MTA from MM3.

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "bootstrap.py", line 163, in <module>
>    options.setup_source).read().replace('\r\n', '\n')
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen
>    return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 394, in open
>    response = self._open(req, data)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 412, in _open
>    '_open', req)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 372, in _call_chain
>    result = func(*args)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1201, in http_open
>    return self.do_open(httplib.HTTPConnection, req)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 1140, in do_open
>    h = http_class(host, timeout=req.timeout) # will parse host:port
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 693, in __init__
>    self._set_hostport(host, port)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/httplib.py", line 718, in _set_hostport
>    raise InvalidURL("nonnumeric port: '%s'" % host[i+1:])
>httplib.InvalidURL: nonnumeric port: ''

Can you describe the exact steps you took to do the build?  What OS are you
using?  It looks like you're using Python 2.7, which should be fine, but is
that your distro's version of Python or a from-source build?  Have you set up
a mailman.cfg configuration file, and if so, please include its contents.

Cheers,