[Mailman-Developers] Mailman 2.x Virtual Hosting

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jul 9 00:32:56 CEST 2011

On 7/6/2011 8:29 AM, Pavel Šimerda wrote:

> The official documentation doesn't explicitly claim it. But there's a
> section about setting up virtual domains that doesn't warn that virtual
> domain implementation is incomplete:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/s/mailman/mailman-install/postfix-virtual.html

I have added a note to the above that attempts to clarify this.

> I, as a seasoned user of Postfix, Apache, and other virtualized server
> software, but new user of Mailman, can confirm, that this documentation
> made me think mailman fully supports virtual hosting. Unfortunately,
> there are other resources on the web that are similarly confusing.

If any of those resources are under control of the GNU Mailman project,
and you tell us where they are, I will attempt to clarify them too.

> With most of the patches already working, it doesn't look too hard to
> add full virtual domain support to Mailman 2.x via address rewriting. I
> fixed more issues on my installation myself.

It might not be hard. Perhaps you could tell us exactly what you did to
give us something to work with.

However, please keep in mind that Mailman 2.1 is at the end of its life.
The development focus is currently on Mailman 3. It is not a good use of
development resources to implement a significant new feature in 2.1 that
would undoubtedly lead to additional bug reports that would need to be
addressed.

I think a better approach would be to incorporate whatever additional
fixes are necessary into the existing
<https://code.launchpad.net/~msapiro/mailman/vhost> branch, or for you
to publish your changes as an alternative branch.

> Any way, I'd be very pleased if the documentation is “fixed”, even if
> its brokennes is not obvious to people who have lived with Mailman
> for long time.

What do you think of the change I made?